Monday, February 4, 2013

Personal Milestones

The last 48 or so hours have been pretty great for me, in terms of running. Yesterday, I ran a race on a course I ran 2 weeks ago (Washington Park), and I managed to shave 40 seconds off my previous time. I also managed to actually *run* the full race. Doesn't seem like much, but it sure seems like I always find an excuse to walk, during every race. It's frustrating because I *know* it's 100% mental.

Bear in mind that I'm terrible at starting/stopping my watch when it actually matters.

Anyway. I ended up 4 seconds shy of breaking 26 minutes, which I feel is totally doable when I run the course again this coming weekend. Here's hoping.

The other milestone that I hit was a pretty big one...

Today, I ran a double digit run, without stopping (except once to look for a water fountain), for the first time. Ever.


I ran track and cross country in high school, but even then the best I think I ever did was maybe 7 miles...and that usually included a stop at the snow cone place across the street somewhere in the middle (sorry coach!)

The real kicker is that I also managed to beat my previous 10k time (1:01something), and aside from some nasty wind for the last 3 miles, it didn't feel awful.

On top of all that, I managed to pull this off outside - I've been doing all my training on a treadmill, so this is kind of a big deal too.

Anyway, just wanted to share the triumph. I'm not fast, but I got it done. There's no way I would have been able to do it without company (thanks, Steph!!), but...I did it!!

What's your big accomplishment this week? How about a little one? What are you working towards? What's your next goal? What have you done recently that you never thought you'd be able to? 

No comments:

Post a Comment